Monday, July 13, 2009

Smokin' Babyback Ribs


For the first time the other day I smoked some ribs. It was an adventure and much easier that I expected. First I bought a "smoker box"- actually a small metal box to hold the soaked hickory wood chips. The smoker box goes directly on the heat source, a gas burner in this case.

I rubbed the ribs with a spicy rub and refrigerated them overnight. The ribs were place over indirect heat in my grill and cooked and smoked for 1 1/2 hours. I'd turn them once or twice the next time as a had some "burnt ends" but some people prefer their ribs that way.

The ribs had a delicious smoky flavor with a mild spiciness and we dipped them in our favorite barbecue sauce' Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue from Kansas City.

You can do this without a smoker box. Just place the soaked wood chips in a disposable baking loaf pan and poke several holes in the pan.

When the wood chips are burnt to ashes add some more wet chips. I'll do this again.

No comments: