Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ask for Sustainable Fish

Last night we had fish for dinner. It was a combo I had prepared from Let's Dish and included a piece of fish, two scallops, shrimp and some vegetables that had been wrapped in foil and frozen. It was seasoned with dried dill and was very convenient since all I had to do was bake it.

I have no idea what kind of fish was included which brings up the point of sustainable seafood. As consumers we must ask questions of our fishmonger and of chefs in restaurants as to the source of fish and make choices to promote sustainability. One a fish becomes popular such as sea bass, hi8gh demand by consumers depletes the oceans. Mercury in fish from the polution of local waters is also a health concern.

I'm trying to serve fish at least once a week and am asking more questions before I buy.

A good source of information is the Monterey Bay Aquarium seafood watch. Go to www.montereybayaquarium.org

2 comments:

Dana McCauley said...

Pat, so glad to see you blogging about such an important topic!

I am working on a post about a similar topic right now.

Hope to see in Denver this spring!

Dana

Pat Sinclair said...

Dana- there is a lot to learn but I believe it's important. I'll watch for your posting. Pat