Friday, October 9, 2009

Bon Appetit




One of the highlights of my recent trip to Washington, D.C. was a visit to Julia Child's kitchen at the Smithsonian. After a 4 star lunch at Kinkead's, my friend and I took the metro to the History Museum. With the opening of the movie "Julie and Julia" this exhibit has become extremely popular.

The Tuesday afternoon we were there it was busy, especially with visitors standing around watching tv for clips from Julia's PBS shows. I was nostalgic viewing episodes of The French Chef which is where I learned a lot of cooking. My food degree taught me a lot of the chemical processes and why certain techniques make a difference but didn't teach me a lot about getting a dinner on the table, and hot besides!

I overheard someone talking about their old copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking and wondering if it was a first copy (1961). When I got home I went to my tattered and spattered copy thinking it might be valuable. I got mine in 1971 and it was the 18th edition! Wow!

No comments: