Monday, May 17, 2010

Springtime Morels

At the Farmer's Market last week I purchased some morel mushrooms. The farmer told me it was probably the last time she'd have them this year so I was lucky to get them.

I put a lot of thought into the best way to serve and and as a result we had two outstanding dinners. Wednesday night I prepared a recipe from May Ellen Evans cookbook, Bistro Chicken. In typical fashion I made some changes and substituted boneless skinless chicken breasts for chicken parts. After simmering about 8 minutes the chicken was tender and moist and the mushrooms added a woodsy flavor. A silky sauce added to the earthy richness of the dish.

(To buy Mary's book go to www.thewritecook.com )

Saturday night we hosted our Gourmet Group and I took relished the opportunity to use recipes from my "Cooking with Cabernet" class at Sur l'Table in San Francisco. After soaking the morels I combined them with button mushrooms and sauteed both in butter. Rare Fillet Mignon prepared on the grill were with an Onion Marmalade from the class. To make the marmalade, I slowly simmered sweet onions with a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and 1 cup of port until the juices were thick and syrupy. Roasted new potatoes and steamed broccoli with lemon olive oil and sea salt completed my portion of the meal.

My friend brought Rhubarb Pie made with rhubarb from her garden and also gave me a bunch of rhubarb- stay tuned for my next posting!

No comments: