Saturday, July 24, 2010

Some of my friends have been complaining recently that they have too much rhubarb. That's not my problem because I don't have enough sun in my yard to make it grow, so I have to buy it. But now I know who to ask when I need some.

If you are overwhelmed with rhubarb here's a mouth-watering pie that is different from usual . A friend brought it to our Gourmet Group dinner and everyone thought it was wonderful.


Rhubarb Pie

Makes 8 servings

1 pastry for 9-inch pie pan

Filling
2 slices soft white bread, crust removed, cubed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 eggs, well beaten
3 cups diced rhubarb

Press the pastry into the pie pan and flute the edges. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

T make the filling, toss the bread cubes with the butter until bread is well coated and place in the pie pan.

Combine the sugar and flour in a medium bowl. Stir in the eggs and mix well. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour on top of the bread.

Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. The crust should be golden brown. Cool the pie on wire cooling rack. Remove from pans. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: