Monday, January 12, 2009

Eating Healthy Meals

I've decided the best way for me to serve healthier meals is to concentrate on adding more vegetables. This time of year that can be challenging because most vegetables are out of season. Cauliflower is available year round but when it is in season from December to March it is usually less expensive. It is usually white but newer varieties are appearing in colors such as purple, orange or green. It is an excellent source of Vitamin C and K and folate. In addition it provides fiber, antioxidants and phytochemicals.

Cauliflower is easy to prepare. I cut it into large florets and microwave it but it can also be steamed or roasted. Be careful not to overcook it because that releases strong bitter flavors. I serve it plain as I don't think it needs anything but maybe a little salt. When it's just the two of us it provides enough for more than one meal. My favorite vegetable is any that can be cooked once and provide enough for more than one meal.

With cauliflower, the second time I usually toss it with a little lowfat raspberry vinaigrette or warm it and sprinkle with cheese. This time of year many magazines have recipes with cauliflower so I suggest trying something new.

No comments: