Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Year: New Lists

This is the time of year when everybody has a list of things to do or see or eat during 2010 and I'm no different. I have a list of simple ways to improve my health by what I eat. I've just written an article on Whole Grains so it's good place to start.

Studies show that consuming whole grains (try for at least 3 servings per day) reduces the risk of strokes, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.

Whole Grains include barley, whole wheat, quinoa, whole wheat cous cous, whole wheat pasta, brown rice. For products containing wheat it's important that the ingredient list includes the word "whole" in front of wheat.

Multi-grain foods may not contain any whole grains but usually have a significant amount of fiber. I'm not a big fan of whole wheat pasta, but do like multi-grain varieties which contain as much as 4g of fiber per serving.

Include barley and brown rice in soups or side dishes. I cook 4 serving of brown rice in my small rice cooker and have enough for two meals.

Here's a recipe for Curried Cous Cous for two. I like cous cous and the fact that it takes only 5 minutes to cook. I can't tell much difference in whole wheat cous cous and use it exclusively.

Curried Cous Cous

Cous cous is one of the easiest side dishes to prepare at the last minute since it only requires broth, salt and cous cous. Whole wheat cous cous has great nutritional value. Depending on the main dish, I often add chopped peanuts and a few raisins if I’m serving this with a simple entree.

Makes 2 servings

1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup whole wheat cous cous
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Heat the chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the cous cous, peas, curry powder and salt. Let stand about 5 minutes or until the broth is absorbed. Add parsley and fluff with a fork.

No comments: