Thursday, March 4, 2010

Foodie Fun in Sunny California








I just returned from a week in San Francisco and Napa Valley and was very lucky to see so little rain. When we looked at weather forecasts before we left snowy Minnesota, several days had predictions of a 95% chance of rain. I did survive a downpour in Chinatown, but it only lasted a couple of hours.

While my husband attended a conference, I played and ate for three days. Fortunately I also did a lot of walking. Here is a brief synopsis of my "foodie fun"

The first morning I spent at the Ferry Terminal and enjoyed a fish taco for lunch while I sat beside the bay and listened to a yippy seagull. I also sampled sea salt caramels and S'Mores from Recchiuti Candies. Cowgirl Creamery provided some of the best blue cheese I've ever eaten produced at their Point Reyes creamery. It was so rich and velvety, it stuck to the knife and melted on my tongue.

For a mid-afternoon break, I devoured a buttery, flaky almond croissant from Acme Bakery and sipped a latte from Peet's Coffee and Tea.

After all this, I hopped on a cable car and rode up and down the hills enjoying the sunny day, although it was a bit nippy!

In the next few posts I provide details of my meals at Zuni Cafe, Boulevard and Bottega (Napa Valley). My walking tour ended with a Dim Sum lunch in Chinatown. I also took a class "Cooking with Cabernet" at Sur L'Table and a demonstration at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) in St. Helena. And more!

No comments: