Tuesday, March 16, 2010

St. Patrick's Day for Two or More




Be sure to wear green tomorrow! We'll be having Crock-pot Corned Beef, with New Potatoes and Stir-fried cabbage. Instead of cooking the cabbage with the corned beef, I'm going to quickly stir-fry it. This keeps the delicate green color and prevents any bitter flavor compounds from developing. I don't know if it is Irish or not, but I like horseradish with my corned beef.

Since corned beef doesn't come small enough to serve only two, I selected a 3 pound package and plan to make Reuben Sandwiches with the leftover meat. For each sandwich I use 3 thin slices of the corned beef, 1-2 tablespoons thousand Island dressing, a slice of Swiss cheese and about 1/4 cup drained sauerkraut. My favorite bread is pumpernickel and I lightly butter the outside of both slices of bread. I cook the sandwiches on my panini grill.

Rye or pumpernickel bread sometimes comes in a half loaf, and I freeze any bread we don't use. Any remaining sauerkraut also goes into the freezer. Swiss cheese is added to sandwiches. Other times of year I use deli turkey and make "Rachel" sandwiches. Still very tasty and definitely healthier!

The luck of the Irish to ye!

No comments: