The James Beard Foundation has compiled a list of 13 essential baking books. Here is th list:
1. Baking:From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, 2006
2. Beard on Bread by James Beard, 1995
3. The Book of Great Desserts by Maida Heatter, 1999
4. The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart, 2001
5. The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum, 1988
6. Classic Home Desserts by Richard Sax, 2000
7. Chocolat by Alice Medrich, 1990
8. The Fannie Farmer Baking Book by Marion Cunningham, 1996
9. Great Pies and Tarts by Carole Walter, 1998
10. The Italian Baker by Carol Field, 1985
11. Martha Stewart's Cookies by Martha Stewart, 2008
12. My Bread by Jim Lahey, 2009
13. The Simple Art of Perfect Baking by Flo Braker, 2003
I have many of them on my bookshelf and many more. One I especially like is The Baker's Dozen Cookbook edited by Rick Rodgers, 2001. I also like the King Arthur Baking Cookbooks.
I must also recommend Baking Basics and Beyond by Pat Sinclair, 2006. Not as great as those listed above but a personal favorite!!
What are your favorites? I need to get some more!