Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Popovers That Pop

Last night we had popovers for dinner with a chicken pasta salad. It was a perfect summer meal. I was practicing on the popovers because this morning Sue Doeden and I discussed what we thought made good popovers. She recorded the interview and it will be placed online with her column. Go to http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/articles/index.cfm?id=16899 for our conversation. The main thing we decided is that popovers don't always pop but there are certain steps that are important. My advice is to find a recipe that works and buy a popover pan. In addition, have your ingredients at room temperature and allow the batter to rest about 20-30 minutes. Even popovers that don't pop taste delicious. I love the heavy eggy center with the crisp golden brown crust. Because I really like popovers and they are so easy to prepare I purchased a popover pan. Most supermarkets carry them. I generously spray the cups with nonstick cooking spray before adding the batter.

No comments: